Next Saturday (28th) from 1-4pm the nature reserve will be open. After such a successful open day last month, we look forward to seeing many of you here again this month.
On Saturday, 31st May 2014 we have our first ever Teddy Bear’s picnic. Come along and have a picnic with your favourite teddy, make a sculpture and help hunt for teddies! Please bring your teddy and a picnic.
Of course as usual, the nature reserve will be open for visits and light refreshment will be available to purchase in the field centre.
Just a super quick reminder, there is an open day next Saturday (26th) from 1pm-4pm. It would be a good opportunity to see the changes in the pond since the last open day.
We will be opening up our Nature Reserve the last Saturday of every month from this April to October. We are also aiming to include special events most months. These are the provisional plans:
- May 31st- Teddy bear’s picnic
- June 28th – TBA
- July 26th – Creepy Crawlies day (bug collecting etc)
- August 30th – a tree survey, to learn about the different trees in the nature reserve and map them out
- September 27th – looking at container gardening and hopefully a new irrigation system for the raised beds
- October 25th – building bird boxes ready for 2015
On Thursday, 27th March we (the committee of the Friends of Dacres Wood Nature Reserve) had our first meeting of the year. We had a great discussion over our plans for 2014 and events for the rest of the year.
And so we are happy to announce that our first open day for this year is April 26th. Stay tuned for more information.
(chair of FoDWNR)
This weekend at the Nature Reserve we have the annual Bring and Take day held by the Forest Hill Society. See below for details and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.
7th FREECYCLE/BRING & TAKE
PLUS NATURE RESERVE OPEN DAY
SATURDAY 28th September 2013 1.30 – 4.00 pm
DACRES WOOD NATURE RESERVE FIELD CENTRE
DACRES ROAD, FOREST HILL SE23
Bring good quality unwanted items Take something you need – all free!!!!
WHAT TO BRING
NB: all items must be in good condition and clean. Items should be re-usable and easily portable. Examples of acceptable items:
- Immaculate clothing adult and children’s clothing
- CDs and DVDs
- Objet d’art
- Small electrical tems in good working order e.g. lamps, toasters, coffee machines
WHAT NOT TO BRING
Lewisham Council will no longer be taking away unwanted items after the event.
So please do not bring:
- Electrical items larger than a toaster e.g. no TVs, PCs, monitors, printers, scanners, DVD/VHS/CD recorders/players, vacuum cleaners
- VHS or cassette tapes
- Adult bicycles, furniture, carpets
- Any item not suitable for domestic recycling
There is a depository at the rear of Sainsbury’s car park for small electrical waste.
Good to see lots of new local people coming today responding to our leafletting.
Fascinating to see the roots sent out from the fallen trunks of willow when the water level has fallen so much:
On Saturday, 27th July 2013 there is the next Dacres Wood Nature Reserve open day. The nature reserve will open from 12-3pm and like normal it can be accessed through Honeyfield Mews (the driveway to the right of Homefield House).
I look forward to seeing lots of you there!